Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Restaurant Review: Six Burner


According to The Martin Agency's website, twenty five years ago, a sign was put up in the creative department of the agency that said, "Nobody comes to Richmond for the restaurants." That may be true, but as the Martin website also points out, the restaurants are better than you think. With my Mother in town on a business trip, it became my duty to figure out where four hungry people used to city cuisine and city prices should eat for the weekend. Our first stop was Six Burner.

Between the four of us, we tried a good portion of the menu - and ate every course, of course. Dinner was great, but by far the best thing I tried was my appetiser of cornmeal fried oysters, cucumber relish and curried yogurt. I am a huge fan of oysters, but was a bit sceptical of the whole idea since I don't really love yogurt or relishes. But scepticism aside, this was one of the best appetisers I've had. The bite of the relish combined with the earthiness of the curried yogurt turned ordinary oysters into a dish to remember.

An ambiance of relaxed sophistication combined with amazing appetizers, good dinner and a fabulous wine recommendation make Six Burner a must eat. The only no-no was their deserts, which were lukewarm in every case.

Richmond ... who knew!

No comments: