Sunday, October 14, 2007

69th National Folk Festival



I spent this morning wandering around the National Folk Festival, which is taking place on Brown's Island and around the Museum of the Confederacy. The Folk Festival has been going on since Friday. If you haven't had a chance to stop by yet, make sure you stop in before it ends tonight. At 75 and sunny, today was the perfect day to enjoy the outdoors in downtown Richmond, listen to music and eat culturally interesting food.

I saw the gospel group The Madison Hummingbirds (video above) and Rosie Ledet & the Zydeco Playboys. After listening to those two groups perform, I started to wish that my life came with upbeat background music. The musicians were incredibly energetic and obviously enjoyed sharing their music with everyone at the festival.

Lastly, I entered a drawing to win a Smithfield Ham. After asking me to enter my name, the woman manning the booth found out that I was a grad student and seemed a bit worried. She suggested that if I win the ham, I call the Smithfield hot line to find out how to cook it so that I don't kill anyone. What great faith in my ham-bilities!

I hope I win that ham... I need to prove myself.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing that little tidbit of the festival. I didn't get a chance to go, but wish I had. That group in the video is fantastic - they make you want to dance along while they play.

By the way, I'm enjoying your blog. As a native Richmonder, I do love my fair city, and so am enjoying playing virtual hometown tourist as I read your blog entries. It's fun to read about it from a relative newcomer's perspective. :-)

Caitlin said...

I'm so glad you like the blog. It's been fun to see more of Richmond than I would have otherwise seen!