Monday, November 12, 2007

Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream

Last Tuesday while I was frantically getting ready for a presentation, I got a phone call. When I looked down at my cell phone, I was surprised to see that it was from a friend from undergrad who had been living in China (not for a few months apparently - communication via phone is not my forte). This friend announced that he was in Richmond to visit his girlfriend for the afternoon and would love to see me while she was in class. He was near Monroe Park and wanted to know where we could meet up.

Being a downtown / shockoe slip kind of Richmonder, I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't really know where one went for a quick coffee in the Fan. Instead of letting him know what a bad Richmonder I am, I told him I would meet him in the park and then quickly Googled for coffee near Monroe Park when he hung up. Fifteen minutes later, I was ready to show my friend Crossroads, which I had never been to but had heard much about from friends who have lived in Richmond longer than I.

While I can't say that Crossroads changed my perspective on life or anything that dramatic, I can say that I liked it quite a lot. Before walking in, I had no idea that they also served ice cream. And what a great way to cover all seasons and temperatures. I had latte, my friend had a vanilla malt, and we were both happy with only one stop. Aside from the drink possibilities, I really enjoyed the people watching opportunities at Crossroads. My friend, whose family is originally from Richmond, pointed out that he believes that the hipster movement is larger here than anywhere else in the world. I was about to argue for Brooklyn or London, but at that moment a girl walked in dressed so perfectly that I now have an amazing picture in my mind of what it is to be a hipster.

The Old-South Hipster capital of the world: just one more example of Richmond's cultural diversity, and of why I like this city so much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living 3 blocks away, I have to agree that wile not Earth-shattering, Crossroads is a pretty great local coffee shop.

We like to think of it as what Starbucks always wanted to be...

Anonymous said...

I visited the FAN location on N. Morris today and learned that the owners have a policy of allowing anyone to park in the only handicap parking spot when the lot is busy. This leaves no where for people with disabilities to park who need additional space and a level parking space. When I questioned a patron who was in the process of parking illegally in the ONLY handicap spot, I was told to mind my own business. The manager later told me about the policy when I told this patron what I thought about his lack of respect for others. When I asked the manager why he would allow this to happen, I was told to stop making trouble in his restaurant. Needless to say this will be my last visit to Crossroads. Any business that does not honor and welcome all patrons does not deserve my business. As a resident of the Fan, I pride myself in supporting the local, non-chain businesses. I will continue to do this, just not this particular business.

Christine and Dick said...

We adore Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream. Both sites are fantastic, but we especially feel at home at the Forest Hills one. There is no friendlier, warmer spot to sip coffee or lick an ice cream cone than at Crossroads. Will and Olivia take great pride in their family business that leaves you feeling emotionally as well as physically pampered.

Pandp said...

Richmond is fortunate to have two Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream shops. For over five years I have often gone to the parent Crossroads at Forest Hill for refreshment both literally and figuratively. It is great to have the option of choosing whether to get my all time favorite cuppa at my old friend or its offspring at Morris. Both shops have a delicious and varied fare which is seasoned with hospitality---and unbeatable combination.

Anonymous said...

Check out the new Facebook group for Crossroads fans: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=40599847550