Monday, November 19, 2007

The Omni: Barlowe's Terrace


A few weeks ago my weekly routine got a little bit busier when I started waiting tables at Barlowe's Terrace Restaurant at the Omni Hotel in Richmond. Two nights a week I meet stranger after stranger as I serve them food. The mix of people at Barlowe's Terrace is always interesting. Tourists, Business travelers, groups of recent graduates who have just started working at Capital One, and the occasional local who probably works in the James Center.

I've worked in several restaurants in the past, and I never get tired of talking to the people I wait on. The best guests broaden my worldview. The worst, crabby as they tend to be, make me work harder at my communication skills (and my frozen, subservient smile).

Working at the Omni may have given me fifteen less hours every week to think about advertising, but I'm starting to think that maybe that's a good thing. Fifteen less hours of advertising means fifteen less hours of spinning my wheels. Somehow, as tired as I am after work, I find myself much more likely to have a fresh perspective on whatever problem I'm working on.

No comments: