Saturday, July 7, 2007

Monticello

Today's Adventure took me out of Richmond and all the way to Charlottesville. I remember visiting Monticello as a little kid and know that it's one of my Mother's favorite places to tour, so I thought that it was time for another trip.

First of all, traveling alone has its pros and cons. I got in line around noon and was shocked to hear the volunteers say that anyone who didn't have a ticket would have to wait until at least 4:00 to see the house. I wasn't too disappointed since I had hoped to spend some time wandering around the gardens, but I was hoping for something earlier. When I got to the head of the line and said that I wanted to buy a ticket, the guy at the desk asked "just one?" I responded "yes," and he said "you're alone?" Once again, I said "yes," and once again he couldn't seem to wrap his head around my singleness, and said "by yourself?" I've been touring alone all summer, so I didn't think it was anything to be ashamed of, but I was definitely starting to feel a bit red at this point. However, right as I was preparing to be defensive about it, the ticket-taker said "well then I can get you in at 3:00!" Apparently I'm more sensitive about seeing our nation's great historic homes by myself than I thought...

It was more than a little bit warm out this afternoon, but the perfectly sunny day made the gardens of Monticello even more beautiful. During the time that Thomas Jefferson lived at Monticello, the gardens were a primary source of food for the plantation. In order to feed his many slaves and his family, Jefferson planted over 1000 feet of herbs and vegetables, all of which look towards the mountains in the distance. I am envious of the plants that they've been able to grow -- rows and rows of basil two feet tall, and huge rosemary bushes that were incredibly fragrant.

After spending some time in the herb garden, I walked around the outside of the house and saw the underground passageway, the stables and the kitchens. Jefferson had several innovative passages throughout the house, all meant to decrease time spent with people outside the family. Instead of having several slaves walking in and out of the room as meals were served, his passageways, revolving doors and dumbwaiters allowed for food and drinks to be brought up and be served by just one person.

At 3:00 I joined the line for the house tour. Thomas Jefferson had so many debts at the end of his life, his family was forced to sell the property and most of his personal items to pay his debts. Because everything was sold off much of the furniture in the house today is on loan, which means that there are no pictures allowed in the house. As our tour guide showed us around, I found myself feeling like I had been through the house just yesterday. Last time I was in the house I remember being captivated by the alcove beds. Seeing the house again was amazing, and I couldn't believe how much I remembered.

After touring the house, I walked around the flower garden in front. Like the Botanical Gardens, the flower gardens at Monticello made me wish that I could spend my life outdoors planting flowers. The variety and placement of plants was beautiful, and the gardens looked summery and perfect.

No comments: