Monday, May 12, 2008

The Ashland Berry Farm


A few days after next week's graduation from the Brandcenter, we will have two days to impress recruiters from all over the country. As a leave behind, I've decided to make homemade jam to showcase my love of cooking, my Richmond tourism and some of the photos I've taken this year.

If you're going to take the time to make homemade jam, don't settle for store-bought strawberries. Store bought strawberries generally have white insides which are tasteless and fibrous. Fresh picked, local strawberries on the other hand are a whole different ballgame. Smaller, redder, and sweeter tasting and smelling, these berries make jam so good that if you eat too much you feel like you may go into sugar shock. And so today I visited the Ashland Berry Farm to find the perfect strawberries.

On the down side, the Ashland Berry Farm isn't doing pick-your-own berries this year. On the upside, they've contracted for berries from other farms in the area to be brought in. I now have some of the sweetest berries ever, and my car smells fabulous from the flat of strawberries that drove home with me.

The Ashland Berry Farm was wonderful - nice people, a huge variety of plants, great advice to their customers - but just as wonderful was the drive from Richmond. As soon as I got off 95 North the light changed to that perfect evening glow - photographers' light. The air in Richmond is starting to smell like honeysuckle and things are blooming and growing faster than anyone can chop and mow them down. As someone who loves to drive with the windows down but rarely has time for pleasure trips, today was a true luxury.

No comments: