Sunday, May 18, 2008

National Battlefield Park Tour


My father came to visit me in Richmond this week. While we spent most of our time together retracing my steps from this blog project, we also did something that I would probably never have done by myself. I have always enjoyed history when it is explained to me by people with a passion for it, but have never been much of a history buff myself. So when my Father suggested that we visit some battlefields in the area, I eagerly agreed. My Father has always been interested in Civil War history, and touring the battlefields with him was a chance to take part in his excitement.

Over two days, we visited the Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works, Beaver Dam Creek, Gaines' Mill, Malvern Hill and Cold Harbor. I highly recommend a visit to the Civil War Visitor Center as it does a great job of giving a Civil War for Dummies version of the war while still remaining interesting for those actually do know about history. I will say, though, that I'm not sure I loved the video they play on the first floor. An older man with sad eyes narrates a scrip that starts off something like this: "The civil war? There wasn't anything civil about it! It was a war of Northern aggression..."

No comments: